By samps630
Hey all,

So looking online, the only name I see in the name badge game is this "katara". I see the badge isnt bad, but on a different post I saw a lot of listed inaccuracies. Is there anywhere else to get identical name badge with your own last name made? Thanks!
:sigh:
By Morydees
Got a link to the supposed inaccuracies on kataraa's patches? When doing my research I was pointed that way and my patch came out great from her but I have to admit those Pepi ones look great too. I don't see a GB1 nametag patch though, wonder if that's special order.
By Morydees
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong but that old thread (and most kataraa complaints) appear to focus on GB2 tags and it's clear how hers do differ. However, the GB1 tags she makes seem pretty darn accurate and Pepi doesn't seem to offer those anyway. So....I guess I'm fine with what I've got? That said, if anyone needs other patches, especially GB2 stuff, it seems like Pepi is the clear choice. I might have to shoot him a message and see if he makes GB1 still.

For comparison's sake here's the GBFans GB1 nametags from the archive vs. Kataraa GB1 Stantz. The poor angle of the shot makes my font look a little shorter than it is but they are closer than the GB2 by far...except for being in much better condition than screen-used.

By Higgs1
Here are some shots of the ones I've gotten from Pepi for GB1 style:

This one I got about a year, year and a half ago from Pepi when he was on etsy:

Here is one I got about a month ago from Pepi on Bonanza:

I think his look better as the font is a bit thinner and looks more like the movie. I think Katarra's, while looking good, just has the wrong font, looks a bit too thick. And the GB2 ones are hands down better from Pepi, no need for me to post my patch from him on that regard.

Here's a link to the GB1 patch from pepi, looks like its "sold out" but if you contact him I'm sure he can make one for you.

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/GB1-Nam ... /139369761
By PssdffJay
While the "new" patches that are made nowadays look good, with a high thread count and probably better materials, I still like the ugliness and handmade-ness of the movie ones. Thinner material and that thrown together look, nothing beats it.
By Morydees
Higgs1 wrote:I think his look better as the font is a bit thinner and looks more like the movie. I think Katarra's, while looking good, just has the wrong font, looks a bit too thick.
I was worried the angle of my first pic would give the wrong idea so I dug it out to show you that the font isn't as different as you think. Note how kataraa's GB1 is just as thin and narrow if you go letter by letter and don't confuse it with a longer name being crammed in and seeming thinner. My first crummy pic made it seem thicker than it is.

That said, I'm very glad you posted some examples of Pepi's GB1 but to be fair, they seem a bit off just in different ways. Your first one looks pretty good, similar spacing to VENKMAN but there's red stitching between the letters and the letters are very sharp/squared on the edges as opposed to a bit rounded like the movie. Your second one is much cleaner with no visible red stitching but the black side area is thicker than both kataraa's and the archive photos. Note how the black area to the side and top of the letters on the archive/kataraa patches is equidistant but here the side black area is noticeably thicker than the top/bottom. In other words, it's not centered like the movie. You might say "but the name is shorter, so of course there's more black" but if you note the above movie patches, they were always centered and would just make the patch smaller if the name was smaller (i.e. Stantz). Sounds confusing but this will help explain.

Mind you this all a bit of nitpicking and different aspects matter more/less to different people. That said, I'm finding my choice to go with kataraa for GB1 wasn't a mistake but I will definitely be going with Pepi when it comes to the No Ghost and GB2 patches.
By Morydees
PssdffJay wrote:While the "new" patches that are made nowadays look good, with a high thread count and probably better materials, I still like the ugliness and handmade-ness of the movie ones. Thinner material and that thrown together look, nothing beats it.
Agreed, which is why I'm actually happy with kataraa GB1 patch. It's not quite as messy as the movie but, to my eye, it's a bit closer to that then Pepi's perfectly edged, sharp lettering that never varies. Funny how this changes wildly when going to GB2 where kataraa's seem way off and Pepi is on the money.

Good thing we have options in this community :D
By PssdffJay
I actually have a Katara gb2 patch on the way too. I never thought to confirm the accuracy because of how well she makes the GB1 patch. I'll post a photo of them side by side once both are in.
By Morydees
Yep, I probably would have ordered a GB2 without question but thanks to this thread I know to scrutinize it a bit more. This animated .gif of kataraa GB2 from the thread you linked speaks volumes when it comes to accuracy. I'm curious to see if yours is somehow better (being newer) or if she's still way off on those.

By Higgs1
Here is my GB2 patch from pepi for reference:

And the second picture you posted of the katarra patch looks MUCH better with it straight on. Honestly as long as everyone is happy with their patches it really doesn't matter in the end. :cool:
By Morydees
Yeah, I wished I could go back and edit out that first pic with the better one but it was locked. Anyway, your GB2 patch looks pretty darn good there. Matches the sharper lettering and the thickness looks good (seems thin at first but it's just the shine from the flash).

I think I'll just grab some GB2 ones now just in case he changes shops or disappears again.
By PssdffJay
My GB2 Katarra patch arrived today. She does get these shipped out fast if nothing else.

Unfortunately my last name has only 4 letters but I'll post a comparison side by side photo when the other one comes in.
By Morydees
Looks like it's a tad on the tall side, which seems to be the common complaint. Shortening the font a bit and following the movie spacing method (shorter name = shorter tag instead of wider gap) gets it close. It's not quite there and if it wasn't so late and that I couldn't find hi-res GB2 tag shots, I'd fuss with it some. But overall, I suspect Pepi's will be closer to this when it arrives.

By PssdffJay
My Pepi patch arrived today. Here is a photo with the two for a comparison.

I increased the brightness to see the details. I like it much better but the Katarra is close. If she could do the corners and tweak the font she could have a better patch. Her shipping and production time is much faster.

I still only have 4 letters. A longer name would look better.
By Morydees
Excellent, thanks for the confirmation. Definitely looking to Pepi for my GB2 when the time comes.
By Jon Wallace
Did your pepi nametags have velcro on the back or was it a straight iron on? I was looking at his site and while it says it is an iron on patch, it also mentions it having velcro on the back. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't reading it wrong
By Higgs1
Jon Wallace wrote:Did your pepi nametags have velcro on the back or was it a straight iron on? I was looking at his site and while it says it is an iron on patch, it also mentions it having velcro on the back. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't reading it wrong

When I sent him the note with my name I told him no velcro, might just want to throw that in the comment box so he doesn't put velcro on.
By Dr. Stantz Jr.
Yeah mine came without velcro. I couldn't see the option when I bought mine, but he may offer both options now...?
By Jaggered
PssdffJay wrote:My Pepi patch arrived today. Here is a photo with the two for a comparison.

I increased the brightness to see the details. I like it much better but the Katarra is close. If she could do the corners and tweak the font she could have a better patch. Her shipping and production time is much faster.

I still only have 4 letters. A longer name would look better.
A very interesting read & also what was on this link ref page 2 & th GB2 name tag study by Jairus.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 1&start=30

After reading this thread & the one above I was like, why doesn't anyone contact Kathy, Katarra8 & let her know the discrepancies although I'm more concerned with the GB1 style name tag but still.
I think in a community such as this the more people who can offer a accurate product the better & especially if the seller is easily to be found & get a hold of.
I've never heard of "Bonanza" prior to stumbling on the above threads or Etsy for that matter, mostly I'd say because of my location.

Having now read this thread, page 2;

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 2&start=30

I see a member from GB Fans has been in contact with her, post is dated Feb 17th 2012 ref emailing a note to Kathy & letting her know about providing a more accurate name tag.
Since it's now June 2014 & after going through just these 3 threads alone maybe it would be a good idea to send her a compiled comprehensive list, photos etc from the 3 threads I've found?
Naturally she's no ghost head & offers what she see's & thinks people like & if she isn't informed then as far as she's concerned what she offers in her mind is correct. After all she is a seamstress not a fact finding buster ;)

As I'm only a new member here maybe a older, respected member might want to contact her or "JayM" who has established all the correct details & information & liaised with Joey.
Food for thought nothing more but as I pointed out earlier I think its better to have options than just relying on one seller or provider.

*Note*
I joined Bonanza 29/05/14 soley to purchase a GB1 name tag from Pepi & also asked if he were able to do the GB1 no ghost patch.
I've had no contact from him after making my purchase or any notification if the name tag has been sent.
I really have to say as a customer, I've very disappointed in the lack of communication on his behalf, I'll give it another week else look to recover my money.

jAG
By Jaggered
PssdffJay wrote:I hear he is hit or miss.

Luckily, AJ is now selling custom patches in the GBFans store. That's the way to go.
omg!!! Thanks for the heads up Jay, didn't even realize, where's my head at!
Danzrboy77 wrote:How do we purchase from pepi?
Hi Dan, you can find Pepi here on this link over at Bonanza

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/gb1-nam ... /173993403

As Jay has stated, hit & miss... He's currently not taking orders till the end of July early August as he is going overseas so refunded my $$$

jAG
    Kia Soul Ecto -Updated

Well I've completed the build of Sniffer tower. Ju[…]

Does anyone know if other brands of this stuff wou[…]

Neat! Thanks for the info!