Discuss the upcoming movie to be released in 2020 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By One time
Seeing as GB 2020 would be the first modern sequel to GB '84, this piece of music seemed a very interesting combination of 1984 and 2020.

https://youtu.be/MKOuEZ1xYJ4

You need a pretty clean low hz sound system not to get the bass channels interposing though.
By One time
Unfortunately it suffers from the modern trend of the remix taking far too long to build up to the actual meat of the song.
Agreed. Though I dig it. I'd be happy to play that at house parties when I dj.

I wonder if there are more "modern flavoured" remixes of the originals or possibly hybrids or maybe even new songs with 80's flavouring (Retrowave, Synthwave, etc).

The only other one I know is not a remix but a remaster of the original Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters theme with the bass and treble levels cleaned up and maximized. Not what I mean with this thread, but still definitely worth a listen. I tend to think it's the definitive digital copy of the Ghostbusters theme:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MK7PEp ... sp=sharing
GBforever84 liked this
By Sav C
I think Bruno Mars might be a good choice to write one of the songs for the soundtrack.
By Danzrboy77
I would like to see up and coming artsts be used. Personally I would love to see " The Midnight" commissioned to do a song....especially since they have the '80's vibe' in their music.
One time, GBforever84 liked this
By Kingpin
Jim Latham writing some music for it would be awesome. He's the guy that did a bunch, if not all of the music for Extreme Ghostbusters. You can here some of his stuff here https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/egb_score.htm.
While there were a number of memorable cues, a lot of Latham's work on XGB were mournful dirges, not really what I'd want in the next Ghostbusters movie.
One time liked this
By GBforever84
One time, there is a sick Synthwave track titled "Ghostbusters." It's a track by the artist MAGNAVOX. I added it to my MP3 player on my pack. Definitely give it a listen if you haven't yet.

Danzrboy77, I agree The Midnight would be cool. Maybe even Gunship, Le Matos, or Mitch Murder.

I think Retrowave would be cool, because of it's 80's vibe, but a score would be good too. Just not Zimmer please. He is good, but overrated imo.
By RichardLess
One time, there is a sick Synthwave track titled "Ghostbusters." It's a track by the artist MAGNAVOX. I added it to my MP3 player on my pack. Definitely give it a listen if you haven't yet.

Danzrboy77, I agree The Midnight would be cool. Maybe even Gunship, Le Matos, or Mitch Murder.

I think Retrowave would be cool, because of it's 80's vibe, but a score would be good too. Just not Zimmer please. He is good, but overrated imo.
I second the no Zimmer notion. No Hans Zimmer or any of his army of ghost writing acolytes. Except maybe John Powell. He's cool.

This needs to be a full orchestral score with minimal synth. My pie in the sky pick would be Howard Shore.

But it will probably end up a Michael Giachinno score or maybe Jason hires a B-lister like Feig did with Shapiro. Hopefully not.
By BatDan
Im kind of an 'get off my lawn' old man when it comes to 'new' music. the 80s and 90s was a much different era for soundtrack contribution. With the style and trends back then, it was easier to capture the 'camp' style of something like Ghostbusters. The music biz wasn't completely over thrown with manufactured crap just yet..maybe just a little..it was 'good natured' and somewhat silly manufactured crap like Duran Duran (view to kill) and Vanilla Ice (ninja ninja rap!)..you could get away with tongue-in-cheek songs back then.. "ghostbusters are back and all brand new! cmon!" and it fit the tone of Ghostbusters.

I just remember when a summer was based around the song of a movie, i remember when "kiss from a rose" complimented Batman Forever in an awesome way.

nowadays, people take things too seriously, theres a watered down, disposable, spiritless nature in modern pop music. it literally is completely geared for the starbucks sipping, ugg boot wearing crowd.

i can barely leave the Top40 radio on for 30 seconds before putting Spotify on, it all sounds like the same garbage. I think we already tried to put in 2010's stuff into a GB soundtrack, and it was all trash aside from the Walk the Moon cover.

I heard someone mention Bruno Mars, I'm okay with that, he knows how to write upbeat R&B numbers...he's got something that has that Bobby Brown/Ray Parker JR flare.

As far as score, my pick would be Alan Silvestri..he's done everything from Tales from the Crypt, Forrest Gump, Back to the Future and Predator..his score for Super Mario Bros is underrated. He knows how to balance/capture action, drama, horror, sci fi, and comedy (every element needed for GB) and make it sound big. I hope jason doesnt hire 'just some guy' and goes for someone with a good background.

Unless they can find some good 'indie' artists that strike the feel for GB or even go Edgar Wright/Tarantino route and just grab from different eras to create the OST, i say stick with score and the original RPJ theme.
Sav C, Scum liked this
By Kid Chameleon
This thread poses a very important question. The soundtracks for the first two films were very different and were representative of very different periods in 80s music trends - it's going to be a tough call to bring the 80s dinosaurs we know and love into the 21st century. I'll be very interested to see how it pans out.

One thing we need to remember is that the old Ghostbusters are going to be in a mentoring capacity and are therefore not going to be the central focus of the film - the new Ghostbusters will be of the 21st century and will need their own music which will also be of the 21st century.

A couple of films that spring to mind that do a similar thing are The Next Karate Kid and The Intern; both of those films are about older people passing on their wisdom to younger people who belong to very different worlds and they both do it very well. The older characters get a new lease of life by being brought into the new generation. If Jason can get this right, the music should come naturally.

And Annie Potts is certainly no dinosaur. She's doing very well in Young Sheldon and her character in Toy Story 4 certainly got plenty of action. She seems to be doing a lot better as an older actress and I would say that she is the most 21st century ready of the old cast members.
By robbritton
I reckon, as the Alien series has done with Jerry Goldsmith’s original 1979 score since Prometheus, that this one is likely to lean heavily on variations of Elmer Bernstein themes. It’s a very effective way of creating a shorthand connection to the first movie but also leaves room for new themes for the new characters.
By Troy
Crossing my fingers that Peter Bernstein gets the nod, as I know he did a lot of work on the original film and its orchestrations and is familiar with all the thematic elements and instrumentation. Also recently rewatched Canadian Bacon, which he co-scored with his father, and he has similar sensibilities and style as his father. EDIT: And how poetic and nostalgic would it be to have another son stepping into his father's iconic shoes?

As for all the needledrop cues in the movie? I'm hoping Jason has a surprise in store and he goes a little more Morning Becomes Eclectic than Top 40 with it all. The "Up In the Air" soundtrack is on heavy rotation still for me and, as I understand, Jason was really personally selective of all that music for the film. Betting/hoping he does something similar here.

Here it is... The Ghostbusters have gone nat[…]

GBfans new logo

The "B" is very Bold and when I read it […]

Ecto Splat gun - TRGB comic

Issue 7 of "The Real Ghostbusters" comic[…]

I used two buck converters in my setup powered by […]