For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
I'd honestly be shocked if they don't add DLC to this. Unlike Dead by Daylight, they can go ham with the ghost designs without having to worry about staying true to whatever IP they're using the monster from.

Honestly, as much as I love seeing these class 5s, I'd LOVE to see something different. Give me a humanoid ghost or something beast-like with legs... just have that thing scurry along the floor, walls and ceiling.
Ectojeff88 wrote:Very cool look at the gameplay. I love all the unique variables with civilians and environment changes that can influence the match result. Equipment and will be so fun!

My only concerns at this point are the ghost variety and maps. All 3 ghosts we have seen in promo are similar glowy hover style but no monster type or other style ghosts. I hope there will be more, and more maps with the devs promising DLC….
Yeah, I'd echo this. I'm eager to see more. Crazy they haven't announced the Collectors Edition content (side note: and the physical editions are still unavailable to order in the UK)

Based on the live stream, it's clear they've nailed the fan service and authenticity - which is no surprise given the franchise love these devs poured into F13 and Predator HG.

So... both F13 and Spirits Unleashed are effectively hide-and-seek games. But they are very different franchises and the slasher nature of F13 intrinsically lends itself to a thrilling game of hide-and-seek regardless of game jank. Now... given the rift and downing mechanics of Spirits Unleashed I'm slightly concerned this reduces the stakes and therefore neuters the thrill of the fundamental hide and seek mechanic. Impossible to gauge without playing some rounds, and knowing more about the ghost's objectives.

The proton effects look fantastic, they've done an exceptional job on those, but given this is an MP title, the level destruction is understandably limited compare to what the next-gen consoles are capable of.

Jury is out on how much the fun the ghost will be to play... I enjoyed the object possession mechanic but it seemed limited to floating, manipulation and in some cases a skeletal animation system, as opposed to a fright features or GBII bathtub style transformation into a monstrous version of itself. We haven't seen much of the ghosts yet so that is the next livestream, but it seemed a little tame as in the designs are all cartoony, and you couldn't do much to scare other players it was more about changing the environment to alert or divert from your presence (and the summon attacks seem little more than busy work).

I still dislike some of the UI elements (numbers flying off objects and targets, the Sims style status bars over civilians). The civilian inclusion makes sense for the IP but I'm not sold on using the F13 repair wheel as a mechanic for interacting with them.

I'm optimistic (and if RGB equipment is in I will be overjoyed) and will be there day one... but I'm cautious of how fun this will be to play in practice (as the majority of your time will be spent scanning objects) and the longevity of the concept. I suspect a PvE dungeon crawler design might have been a simpler way to serve the IP better. However I do trust this design team based on previous work.

Also I minor point... I don't know how much Community Managers get paid, but the dude in the stream seemed a little inexperienced / unprepared and when the Lead Designer asked him to show off the proton gun etc and he just said "No"... I was cringing so bad, because dude this isn't you showing off to your mates, you're being paid to sell this product and ehhhh... hopefully it was just nerves, but they definitely need to work on that going forward.
After playing GB TVG again I never noticed that the PKE meter had a bigger screen.

Also what I love about spirits unleashed is how well they nail the proton stream compared to TVG. When you move while firing, the stream has to “catch up” to your movement which mimics the effects of have a rope or something attached. TVG only had a similar effect when using the capture stream otherwise the stream always moved constantly with where you aim it
Last edited by jonogunn on August 21st, 2022, 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
The stream pretty much sold me on the game at this point. The firehouse looked great although I miss the third floor, that would have been a neat touch. The ability to play as a ghostbuster or enter the ghost realm is a pretty cool idea. And I'm keen to find out more about the gear customization. By the pre order bonusses we know we will get an RTV. Plenty of opportunity there for cool stuff.
Kingpin liked this
Rewatched the stream and yeah, the proton streams are great. What I absolutely love? The PKE meter. The TVG version was neat, but was WAY too game-y for me and while Egon is a genius, building what's basically a smart phone into that complex of a device in 1991 was... a stretch (yeah, even with ghosts and laser back packs to shoot them with).

Here? The PKE looks and FEELS like the movie version and I love how the different arc swoops dictate what you're tracking (or THINK you're tracking since the ghosts can spoof them). Seriously, the read out is both basic AND complex, yet intuitive.

Kinda hoping the super geniuses that make electronics kits manage to reproduce that effect in the future :D
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 21st, 2022, 11:27 am I don’t care what the DLC costs… the possibility I could be playing a PS5 game in 2022 with a Real Ghostbusters PKE meter is a dream come true. I hope we get Kenner Fright Features overall colours too.

Maybe we could organise some GBFans games too once the game is out?
I’m down for that
Not sure if this was known before now, but the Achievement list leak shows there are 5 classes of ghosts.

So far I think we've only had a close look at the Slimer variants (I think there are 3 known?) - which are all one class.

Presumably the prison ghost is a different class, too.

So lots of scope for different ghost types - I'd guess maybe 3 per class - 15 at launch? Hopefully we'll get some classic appearances and they're not all new for the videogame. ie. Muncher would be a no-brainer with the spit attack too. I'd guess Sam Hain and Sandman are extremely unlikely, but surely we'll see some sort of Stay Puft variant in there somehow.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 21st, 2022, 4:14 amI suspect a PvE dungeon crawler design might have been a simpler way to serve the IP better.
Possibly, maybe even probably... But ultimately the development team have to make this game appealing to casual fans, or non-fans, and the current model probably seemed the most "friendly" concept to go with, throwing in a little bit of Fortnite or Overwatch for wider mass-appeal.
timeware wrote:Anyone think any of the new characters in this game will carry over to Fire House? I would love to see the game pull a "Ghostbusters will return" end credits scene after you complete the game.
I'm curious about that as well. It would be very cool but characters carrying over from a Ghostbusters video game to a movie are slim to nil. How much of it was before they knew about Afterlife and what got altered is still to be revealed. Yeah, you can eye roll at them if they claim Winston running a new team is a coincidence. But maybe they were rolling off the discarded ending from GB1. On the other hand, then how long have Reitman and Kenan been brainstorming the sequel before it all converged?
It wouldn't surprise me if they had a basic outline for fire house done before they began writing the script. So...Maybe they gave Illfonic information that wouldn't give away the plot. Winston is forming a new team and you have these locations to work with.

If the game has longevity past fire house it would be interesting to see if we get a sequel or they just add new playable maps?
mrmichaelt, jonogunn liked this
They may also be going with this being an unknown number of years AFTER Afterlife/Firehouse. Think of it like Mega Man! "The year is 202X, Winston Zeddemore and Ray Stantz are forming a new team of Ghostbusters to help handle an unusual amount of cases!" Cue the theme, then you're thrown to a new screen with all the robot masters and... sorry, sorry, stuck thinking about Mega Man now...

Anyway, the game is not going to be canon anyway and Illfonic was probably given a vague description of what was wanted: players play as new ghostbusters and let them go up against the mascot ghosts (Slimer and Muncher... maybe?) and were given full reign for the other ghosts. Ray and Winston are there for the connective tissue and fan service (not THAT kind of fan service... oh... oh god I hope it's not that kind of fan service) and why we aren't seeing any of the other cast from Afterlife (aside from keeping costs down)
Kingpin liked this
Agreed. But the again, every video game since TVG in part involves a new recruit/new team dynamic. 2011's Sanctum of Slime had Alan Crendall, Samuel Hazer, Bridget Gibbons, and Gabriel Sitter (and driver Geoff), 2012's Paranormal Blast had 6 nameless to choose from, 2013 Beeline app had Tara Fitzpatrick, Michal Prince, Michelle Ying (Egon's half-step-niece), and Joel Holowinsky, 2016 GB VR Now Hiring had a new recruit, the 2016 Slime City mobile game had a new team working for the ATC team, the 2016 Activision game had Chaz Huggins, Meadow Crothers, Rosa Jiminez, and Autin Dallas working for the ATC crew, the audio game Franchise 84 had you hired as a new remote comm boss guiding a new team of Margaret (also known as Mags), Logan, and Ziggy, Afterlife ScARe I think was a new recruit as well, and the upcoming VR game on Meta Quest has a San Francisco branch. So it's not a stretch, Spirits Unleashed' crew decided on creating a new team as well.
robbritton liked this
timeware wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 10:20 pm Anyone think any of the new characters in this game will carry over to Fire House? I would love to see the game pull a "Ghostbusters will return" end credits scene after you complete the game.
I don't think that will happen. I view Spirits Unleashed as taking part in a similar but off-shoot universe of Afterlife.
deadderek liked this
Anyone know if this is exclusive to Amazon or something? I want the physical deluxe edition but the game isn't in GameStops system. If the physical edition is Amazon exclusive or something I'll just get through them, but I have credit at GameStop so it'd be nice to grab it there. Any idea?

Edit: I can't find it anywhere even though I could have swore they announced it. Do we know how many locations we'll be able to bust ghosts in? I know there's the museum, hotel, and prison.
VenomSymbiote wrote: August 24th, 2022, 12:01 pm Anyone know if this is exclusive to Amazon or something? I want the physical deluxe edition but the game isn't in GameStops system. If the physical edition is Amazon exclusive or something I'll just get through them, but I have credit at GameStop so it'd be nice to grab it there. Any idea?

Edit: I can't find it anywhere even though I could have swore they announced it. Do we know how many locations we'll be able to bust ghosts in? I know there's the museum, hotel, and prison.
I'm sure both will be asked in the interviews conducted at Gamescon.

IGN posted a 3 min. demo of the hotel level.
https://www.ign.com/videos/ghostbusters ... eplay-demo
VenomSymbiote, Kingpin liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]