Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2022, 6:50 am Since directors seem to come up a lot who else besides Reitman, Waititi, Anderson, McKay could you see directing GB4?

Off the top of my head:
-Guillermo del Toro
-James Wan
-Scott Derrickson
-Mike Flanagan
-Sam Raimi
-Russo Brothers
-Duffer Brothers
-Peyton Reed
-Edgar Wright
-Jordan Peele
Off the top of my head:
-Guillermo del Toro -No
-James Wan-Heck No
-Scott Derrickson-Nope
-Mike Flanagan-No
-Sam Raimi- HELL YES. Great choice.
-Russo Brothers-Also Yes
-Duffer Brothers-No
-Peyton Reed-Yes
-Edgar Wright 100% yes
-Jordan Peele hmm. Yes

Mine:
Gore Verbinski
Brad Bird
Me
The Daniels
The Coen Bros(lol)
Robert Zemeckis

I think writers are also super important. I’ve named some already but here’s the ones I’ve mentioned plus a few more

Writers
Armando Iannuci
Mike Schur
Greg Daniels
Dan Harmon
Me
Ed Solomon
The Guys Who wrote Deadpool but whose names escape me
Ted Elliot+Terry Rossio
Lord+Miller
Hmm, I just watched Big Lebowski for the first time last night, and I've seen Fargo and No Country for Old Men before. I'm not sure how well the Coen brothers would mesh with Ghostbusters. They're great at creating humorous, absurd scenarios, but it seems to me that it takes a while to appreciate the endings to their films. The hype isn't really there when watching the endings to their movies, but then if you sit back and think about it for a while, then you go "Wow!" Watching Big Lebowski, it didn't feel like the plots and subplots were tied up (because so much was going on), but then once it all clicked, I thought it was amazing. I feel like Ghostbusters might need more oomph at the end, which they could probably deliver, but I'm not sure.
Sav C wrote: March 30th, 2022, 4:58 pm Hmm, I just watched Big Lebowski for the first time last night, and I've seen Fargo and No Country for Old Men before. I'm not sure how well the Coen brothers would mesh with Ghostbusters. They're great at creating humorous, absurd scenarios, but it seems to me that it takes a while to appreciate the endings to their films. The hype isn't really there when watching the endings to their movies, but then if you sit back and think about it for a while, then you go "Wow!" Watching Big Lebowski, it didn't feel like the plots and subplots were tied up (because so much was going on), but then once it all clicked, I thought it was amazing. I feel like Ghostbusters might need more oomph at the end, which they could probably deliver, but I'm not sure.
I was just joking putting the Coen Bros. Although…I’d watch a Ghostbusters movie by them in a heartbeat.

I adore Big Lebowski. One of my favourite films. It’s hilarious and maybe the most quotable movie of all time. “The Dude abides” “you’re out of your element Donnie” “obviously you’re not a golfer”, “f**k it. Let’s go bowling dude”
“Nice marmot” I could go on and on. The movie has one of my favourite jokes of all time. The dude is sitting down having a conversation with Jackie Treehorn when Jackie gets up to answer the phone, the dude watches as Jackie writes something seemingly important down on a pad of paper rips off the paper from the pad and leaves the room. The dude uses an old private investigator trick and takes a pencil & scribbles lines back and forth on the indents left on the piece of paper under the one that was ripped off on the pad. The reveal of what Jackie Treehorn wrote down just kills me. It’s so random. You’re thinking it’s going to be some big revelation lol.
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: March 31st, 2022, 5:23 am
I was just joking putting the Coen Bros. Although…I’d watch a Ghostbusters movie by them in a heartbeat.

I adore Big Lebowski. One of my favourite films. It’s hilarious and maybe the most quotable movie of all time. “The Dude abides” “you’re out of your element Donnie” “obviously you’re not a golfer”, “f**k it. Let’s go bowling dude”
“Nice marmot” I could go on and on. The movie has one of my favourite jokes of all time. The dude is sitting down having a conversation with Jackie Treehorn when Jackie gets up to answer the phone, the dude watches as Jackie writes something seemingly important down on a pad of paper rips off the paper from the pad and leaves the room. The dude uses an old private investigator trick and takes a pencil & scribbles lines back and forth on the indents left on the piece of paper under the one that was ripped off on the pad. The reveal of what Jackie Treehorn wrote down just kills me. It’s so random. You’re thinking it’s going to be some big revelation lol.
In hindsight, the “lol” should have given that away 😂 One of the things I noticed watching Big Lebowski was that I knew so many of the lines already, even though I didn’t know where they came from. Asides from the Office, I don’t think that’s ever happened to me before.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the Coen brothers did a Ghostbusters film, Bill’s involvement would be back on the table for sure.
I feel most of these names being bandied about are too big on their own to want to come and do Ghostbusters. Taking on an existing franchise is a huge responsibility and the vast majority of names thrown about are people doing original material on the strength of their personal brands alone. Lord and Miller remain the best fit of a "name" that I've seen, since they made said name rebooting or adapting existing material and putting great, clever, creative spins on them. The Bill and Ted team is a solid second place.

I think the smarter thing to do than looking at a name (although they are certainly related things) is looking at the skills necessary to pull the movie off. I think of Justin Lin being hired for Star Trek Beyond. Whether or not you thought that was a good movie (I actually didn't), I thought the logic was inspired: the Fast & Furious movies are team movies, juggling the character arcs and personalities of an ensemble, and so is Star Trek.

The rest of their resumes do not inspire great confidence, but the one movie I think that has been released since Ghostbusters that fully captured the dynamic of that movie's comedy, the principles of what made it work, was Galaxy Quest. So I would at least see if writers David Howard and Robert Gordon were interested, as well as the director Dean Parisot (who recently made the enjoyable Bill & Ted Face the Music).

An up-and-coming writer who has been involved with two movies I really enjoyed that I would also consider is Brian Duffield, who was behind 2020's surprisingly excellent Love and Monsters and a great (but very extreme, pitch-black) teen comedy called Spontaneous. Both movies are about young people facing extraordinary, supernatural circumstances, which I think could be a good fit since I would hope the film is focusing on Phoebe.

I personally really liked "Loki" -- I felt it was the best new MCU project since Endgame, or even Ragnarok. The show had action, effects, and humor, and so I would definitely be curious if Kate Herron wanted a crack at directing. I would also inquire about Cathy Yan, who directed Birds of Prey, another team-action movie I enjoyed, and maybe the team of Zeek Earl and Chris Caldwell, who made the indie sci-fi winner Prospect, which also follows a young woman on a sci-fi adventure.

If I were being really indulgent, and just curious about people who might be too much of a stretch, I would also probably consider Shane Black for any project, and while he doesn't really seem like a natural fit for Ghostbusters, I do think he's very talented with comedy banter, and I loved the Angourie Rice character in The Nice Guys (although, his efforts with a character that is closer to Phoebe in The Predator were not nearly as successful). I also just personally admire the work of Brad Silberling, who has enough on his resume with kids and effects (including a famous movie with a Ghostbuster in it, even playing a Ghostbuster) to at least see if he was interested. It would be nice to help get him out of his seemingly perpetual place in Director Jail.
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
tylergfoster wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:34 pmthe Fast & Furious movies are team movies, juggling the character arcs and personalities of an ensemble
I'd really rather not see anyone responsible for the Fast and Furious movies get within touching distance of Ghostbusters, each film seems to strive to outdo the previous one in trying to be bombastically ridiculous garbage.
mrmichaelt, deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 4th, 2022, 5:49 pm
tylergfoster wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:34 pmthe Fast & Furious movies are team movies, juggling the character arcs and personalities of an ensemble
I'd really rather not see anyone responsible for the Fast and Furious movies get within touching distance of Ghostbusters, each film seems to strive to outdo the previous one in trying to be bombastically ridiculous garbage.
What? You DON'T wanna see the Ecto-1 in space? -begins to spiral into an irrational rage due to the insult to physics that last movie was-
Paco wrote: April 4th, 2022, 9:39 pmTommy Wiseau
OUT! GET OUT! Go to your room and reflect on what you've said and done!
tylergfoster wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:34 pm I feel most of these names being bandied about are too big on their own to want to come and do Ghostbusters. Taking on an existing franchise is a huge responsibility and the vast majority of names thrown about are people doing original material on the strength of their personal brands alone. Lord and Miller remain the best fit of a "name" that I've seen, since they made said name rebooting or adapting existing material and putting great, clever, creative spins on them. The Bill and Ted team is a solid second place.

I think the smarter thing to do than looking at a name (although they are certainly related things) is looking at the skills necessary to pull the movie off. I think of Justin Lin being hired for Star Trek Beyond. Whether or not you thought that was a good movie (I actually didn't), I thought the logic was inspired: the Fast & Furious movies are team movies, juggling the character arcs and personalities of an ensemble, and so is Star Trek.

The rest of their resumes do not inspire great confidence, but the one movie I think that has been released since Ghostbusters that fully captured the dynamic of that movie's comedy, the principles of what made it work, was Galaxy Quest. So I would at least see if writers David Howard and Robert Gordon were interested, as well as the director Dean Parisot (who recently made the enjoyable Bill & Ted Face the Music).

An up-and-coming writer who has been involved with two movies I really enjoyed that I would also consider is Brian Duffield, who was behind 2020's surprisingly excellent Love and Monsters and a great (but very extreme, pitch-black) teen comedy called Spontaneous. Both movies are about young people facing extraordinary, supernatural circumstances, which I think could be a good fit since I would hope the film is focusing on Phoebe.

I personally really liked "Loki" -- I felt it was the best new MCU project since Endgame, or even Ragnarok. The show had action, effects, and humor, and so I would definitely be curious if Kate Herron wanted a crack at directing. I would also inquire about Cathy Yan, who directed Birds of Prey, another team-action movie I enjoyed, and maybe the team of Zeek Earl and Chris Caldwell, who made the indie sci-fi winner Prospect, which also follows a young woman on a sci-fi adventure.

If I were being really indulgent, and just curious about people who might be too much of a stretch, I would also probably consider Shane Black for any project, and while he doesn't really seem like a natural fit for Ghostbusters, I do think he's very talented with comedy banter, and I loved the Angourie Rice character in The Nice Guys (although, his efforts with a character that is closer to Phoebe in The Predator were not nearly as successful). I also just personally admire the work of Brad Silberling, who has enough on his resume with kids and effects (including a famous movie with a Ghostbuster in it, even playing a Ghostbuster) to at least see if he was interested. It would be nice to help get him out of his seemingly perpetual place in Director Jail.
Shane Black is a good call. But Brad Siberling? Noooo.

Director of Galaxy Quest is another good one. Infact…that’s a terrific choice. He threads the comedy/spectacle needle brilliantly. He’s worked with Ed Solomon so I’d dig that.

The more I think about it the more I’d love to see Dan Harmon take a whack at Ghostbusters. He’d do something unique enough to make it work. Him & Chris McKay have history.

I can’t believe I’m about to say this but…after watching his last couple movies, I think he can do it. Shawn Levy might be a decent choice. Free Guy was a surprise. Real Steel is extremely underrated and his work on Stranger Things shows he’s got the horror chops. He’s come a long way since his studio journey man days.

I’ve been thinking about who could be a new GB team and I’m thinking
Natasha Leggero
Eric Andre
Paul Rudd(Or Bill Hader)
Craig Robertson or Kevin Hart

He’d never agree to do it but I think Robert Downey Jr would be a terrific Ghostbuster. I also like Joel Mchale or Aziz Ansari. I’d love to see Danny Pudi as the new type of Egon character with Asperger’s. Single minded in their genius, socially awkward & always truthful to a fault. Vulcan like. “New Age Spock” indeed. Tina Fey, Alison Brie are 2 others that come to mind
Kingpin wrote: April 4th, 2022, 5:49 pm
I wasn't suggesting Lin for Ghostbusters. I was just noting that I thought it was clever to look at F&F and think of him as a good fit for Star Trek because they both have a similar ensemble dynamic going on. I was trying to think a way to illustrate a different kind of dot-connecting that can be useful. In my mind there's a sweet spot to aim for in casting, whether that's actual actors or directors, where it's both in the wheelhouse and feels like a new challenge at the same time.
RichardLess wrote: April 6th, 2022, 1:42 amBut Brad Siberling? Noooo.

The more I think about it the more I’d love to see Dan Harmon take a whack at Ghostbusters. He’d do something unique enough to make it work. Him & Chris McKay have history.

I can’t believe I’m about to say this but…after watching his last couple movies, I think he can do it. Shawn Levy might be a decent choice. Free Guy was a surprise. Real Steel is extremely underrated and his work on Stranger Things shows he’s got the horror chops. He’s come a long way since his studio journey man days.
I really enjoyed Silberling's Lemony Snicket movie. Casper has kind of an insane screenplay (probably the result of many cooks in the kitchen), but tonally I still think it fits with Ghostbusters. I also personally liked his Land of the Lost movie (although I understand why fans of the original show would not).

I like Harmon but in this case I would just go to McKay, since I'm thinking this is going to be better served by fresh talent rather than veterans. There are probably a couple of different "Community" writers worthy of consideration. I wonder what Megan Ganz would come up with.

I admit I think Levy is a hack and I have no interest in him as a filmmaker.

As far as a new team goes, I think the last movie introduced the team. For me, the new kids were the best aspect of Afterlife, and I have no interest in abandoning them.
tylergfoster wrote:As far as a new team goes, I think the last movie introduced the team. For me, the new kids were the best aspect of Afterlife, and I have no interest in abandoning them.
It's not about abandoning Phoebe, Podcast, Lucky, and Trevor. We, at least I am, talking about how if little time advances in the next movie, i.e. a year after the events of Afterlife, then the next movie will have to add new characters with Winston restarting the business in New York and forming a new team. So it will essentially still be 3 generations: the originals, probably just Winston and Ray maybe Janine, the new NY team, and the Summerville kids.

I don't think it would make sense for Gary Grooberson to abandon his seismology career to be a Ghostbuster (but then again, Louis in GB2). He's fan first and foremost, and I don't that that necessarily means he wants to suit up but I think a good compromise would be to reveal he lives and works in NYC and would factor into the story. Why would Callie and the kids visit NYC one year later in the summer, well 2 would be college shopping and the other 2 tag along? Since they're there, they go visit the Firehouse. Then they get entangled in the big case of the movie and who ya gonna call.
tylergfoster liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:07 pm
tylergfoster wrote:As far as a new team goes, I think the last movie introduced the team. For me, the new kids were the best aspect of Afterlife, and I have no interest in abandoning them.
It's not about abandoning Phoebe, Podcast, Lucky, and Trevor. We, at least I am, talking about how if little time advances in the next movie, i.e. a year after the events of Afterlife, then the next movie will have to add new characters with Winston restarting the business in New York and forming a new team. So it will essentially still be 3 generations: the originals, probably just Winston and Ray maybe Janine, the new NY team, and the Summerville kids.

I don't think it would make sense for Gary Grooberson to abandon his seismology career to be a Ghostbuster (but then again, Louis in GB2). He's fan first and foremost, and I don't that that necessarily means he wants to suit up but I think a good compromise would be to reveal he lives and works in NYC and would factor into the story. Why would Callie and the kids visit NYC one year later in the summer, well 2 would be college shopping and the other 2 tag along? Since they're there, they go visit the Firehouse. Then they get entangled in the big case of the movie and who ya gonna call.
To me, the way Grooberson is presented in Afterlife is that seismology is more of a hobby, or perhaps that he is freelancing. He doesn't seem to be doing the seismology seen in the movie for anyone except himself; it seems like he would probably jump at the opportunity to use his seismology knowledge as an employee of Winston's new Ghostbuster team -- it's certainly better than teaching summer school.

It's a little complicated because the younger characters are going to age somewhat significantly thanks to the pandemic delay and all, but it seems like in theory you could set this movie reasonably close to the events of Afterlife, and just say that Winston has not hired a new team quite yet -- they're still restoring the firehouse and rebuilding the equipment and figuring out what's going on with the containment unit. I also think it makes sense to have Winston look at Ghostbusting a little differently as a venture, so that they have something to do in case they hit another low point in spectral activity.
mrmichaelt liked this
tylergfoster wrote:To me, the way Grooberson is presented in Afterlife is that seismology is more of a hobby, or perhaps that he is freelancing. He doesn't seem to be doing the seismology seen in the movie for anyone except himself; it seems like he would probably jump at the opportunity to use his seismology knowledge as an employee of Winston's new Ghostbuster team -- it's certainly better than teaching summer school.
Interesting. I never considered him being a hobbyist. I took him as a community college professor who needed a topic to publish a paper about and news of the Summerville earthquakes reached him so he decided to spend the summer there to gather data and used the summer school job to supplement his stay and pay for supplies.
tylergfoster wrote:Winston has not hired a new team quite yet -- they're still restoring the firehouse and rebuilding the equipment and figuring out what's going on with the containment unit. I also think it makes sense to have Winston look at Ghostbusting a little differently as a venture, so that they have something to do in case they hit another low point in spectral activity.
That could work. Could be a funny little segment in a montage sequence to have Winston conduct interviews and we get a little who's who of comedic actors with cameos.

True, that's a good point, Winston probably has some ideas of his own about to run his incarnation of the Ghostbusters to keep it afloat.
timeware wrote: April 13th, 2022, 12:34 am I'm still thinking that Bruce Campbell could still play a role. I'd love to see him join the cast as a villain. I mentioned the episode before, but Look Homeward Ray could still be adapted for a script. Campbell would be perfect for the role of Favish.
It's a good episode, but there are far more deserving episodes to turn into a full movie.
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
timeware wrote: April 13th, 2022, 12:34 am I'm still thinking that Bruce Campbell could still play a role. I'd love to see him join the cast as a villain. I mentioned the episode before, but Look Homeward Ray could still be adapted for a script. Campbell would be perfect for the role of Favish.
Hard to imagine a more unlikely scenario.

Ed Norton to play Cubby aka Chicken Man?
So is this thread going to be hundreds of pages long too?
deadderek wrote: April 25th, 2022, 9:26 pm So is this thread going to be hundreds of pages long too?
Most definitely. Now taking bets on how many of those posts will contain the word "Vigo" :lol:

(To clarify: I don't want any more Vigo or any more Shandorian mythology, it's time to pause the nostalgia and take a risk trying something brand new).

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]