Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I just saw Afterlife and I might be in the vast minority when I say this but there are some things I liked better about the 2016 Ghostbusters film than I did about Afterlife. Overall, if it came right down to it and I had to choose between Afterlife or Ghostbusters 2016 I would choose Afterlife but although Ghostbusters 2016 bombed there were some good things about it such as the action scenes and all the different weapons they had instead of just the traditional proton packs and ghost traps. That being said, I did like some of the action of Ghostbusters 2016 better than that of Afterlife. Ghostbusters 2016 was more action packed whereas Afterlife had some really slow parts. From the time when Mom and the kids move out to Summerville up until when Phoebe gets the proton pack working the movie gets really slow. I also like all the unique weapons they had in Ghostbusters 2016. So in my opinion, while Afterlife is a better overall movie, there is some stuff I liked about Ghostbusters 2016 more.
Ecto24601 wrote: November 19th, 2021, 5:13 am And the book he reads, which apparently explains everything about Gozer and its minions. WTF? Who wrote that? Just too convenient...
I just assumed it was Tobin's spirit guide and expected a reveal that it was, given that Jason teased the book cover during production. But, as many have mentioned here already- lots of questions with no answers unless we get a director's cut. I heard during the cast interviews that Ivan and Jason would argue over things on set and Ivan even suggesting to edit another scene after a screening back in September. Could this be a byproduct of too many cooks? I dunno. I enjoyed it, the comedy was great. But my nitpicks are what others have said already (how the OGBs were handled, Ivo Shandor, the obvious editing).

I'm not even sure I can give this a rating, it feels like an unfinished film.
Last edited by SpaceBallz on November 19th, 2021, 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raystantz84, Kingpin liked this
Seems Erik Burnham really wants to write the sequel to Afterlife and I agree with him ^_^; he, along with Dan and Tom, did the Ghostbusters justice in the IDW comics in all sectors:

https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 1482119174
robbritton, Kingpin liked this
Follow on to my post.
But Ray did say that they were too good at their job.
Think he mentioned Peter in that part.
Plus Ray's Occult is canon
So g2 is Canon as after 1 they went out of business, then restarted in gb2 so Ray's telephone call makes gb2 Canon and maybe the game too, as they went from lots of calls to 10 calls then 1 a week when egon started saying too busy end of the world
Also, this may sound stupid- definitely wasn't a fan of Gozer's redesign. I was hoping for an updated design on the weird otherworldly bubbles, but they ended up with a pseudo power ranger villain thing. Lots of obvious rubber armor.
Gozers new design I didn't like also with the crystal look plus too much black makeup on the face.
Was good that both the keymaster and gatekeeper they showed with red eyes this time.
But the speech when they met together I like/love your eyes was abit much.
Also I have only watched the movie once 29 hours ago.
So bits will be hazy in my memory from the posts I have written.
deadderek liked this
Funny that you say that because Raimi's Spider-Man was ridiculed for giving Green Goblin the "Power Rangers treatment" too. Now in a month that same Green Goblin and JK Simmons (this film's Ivo) return to the big screen.

BONUS TIDBIT: Green Goblin was compared to the Green Ranger which is appropriate because Elizabeth Banks who played Betty Brant eventually played Rita Repulsa who was the first (< IIRC) Green Ranger.

BONUS BONUS TIDBIT: The red M&M and the yellow M&M have both played Ghostbusters characters now. Red M&M played Slimer in EGB and yellow M&M played Ivo in GB:A
Last edited by Coover5 on November 19th, 2021, 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deanwinchester, SpaceBallz, Corey91 and 1 others liked this
Coover5 wrote: November 19th, 2021, 9:30 pm Funny that you say that because Raimi's Spider-Man was ridiculed for giving Green Goblin the "Power Rangers treatment" too. Now in a month JK Simmons (this film's Ivo) and that same Green Goblin return to the big screen.

BONUS TIDBIT: Green Goblin was compared to the Green Ranger which was appropriate because Elizabeth Banks who played Betty Brant played Rita Repulsa who was the first (< IIRC) Green Ranger.
Also, the GBs crossed the streams on the Green Goblin too.
timeware, Coover5 liked this
Bison256 wrote: November 19th, 2021, 3:45 pm
robbritton wrote: November 19th, 2021, 3:32 pm

While the game is clearly written out, you could kind of keep it in if you squint... How's this?:

Ivo Shandor is clearly dead during the time TVG would have taken place, so we could claim he astral projects his spirit and works the mandala plan. Without a temple to focus Gozer's power, this draws forth a weakened echo of Gozer, trapped in the Stay Puft form that is easily routed. Shandor in spirit form then chances his arm at the god route himself, in the process disrespecting Gozer, and is defeated by the Ghostbusters.

Now, since the Afterlife rules have Gozer literally resurrecting the dead, the Shandor we see revived could be an echo himself or some kind of spirit tied to his physical body rather than the astral projected other. A newly resurrected Gozer with the full power of the temple and the ability to once again project its own form then sees this guy who was ultimately disloyal and tears him apart as he tries to save face.

---

Yeah, they never mention the events of the game, but they never mention the events of GB2 either and that clearly happened. Also, all the Shandor stuff in TVG gives Egon's character a trigger to investigate Shandor further whereupon he discovers Summerville and so forth.

And they did at least make JK Simmons look like the video game idea of Shandor!

Let's be clear, i do not believe that was anyone's intent and i freely admit you have to really look sideways to make it work but hey - it's a head canon idea if anyone wants one!

Oh, and good luck with your wallet!
I'm with you. There's a few things you forgot. The skull of Evo Shandor has to be someone else's and the Tobin entry is simply wrong. Another one is the containment unit still being like the 1984 model . But like with the packs I file that under a style difference to be ignored.
Also, Ivo and Gozer should have been stuck in their destructor forms and the packs are missing their upgrades, plus the year isn't mentioned on the mural.
Kingpin liked this
What a let down for me. A movie I had been looking forward to and had high hopes for.
Bob Gale of Back to the Future is right 100 percent about revisiting the well too many times.

I just saw GB AF. I watched it as GB fan, but also as a fan of filmmaking in and of it self. First character development, there is some but the way they do it just was lacking for me during the start. Characters just randomly pop up and disappear with no context which could have been with more drama. We didn't learn anything new about the characters or what really happened than what we learned in the trailers, honestly. The run down Ray gives in the middle compared to Winston at the end doesn't really fit.

They got Ray so wrong for me. Anyone who loved the original GBs should feel how wrong they got him, I am surprised that Dan would film that. I actually cursed under my breath during that scene. The heart of the ghostbusters, the one who chased all the ghost stories... the BELIEVER ... really Jason Reitman, really that is what you think Ray would have done? The guy who Pete made fun of as they entered the library. The same guy who Winston told Ray "ghostbusting is dead" yet now rich Winston is a GB for life. What the hell, this was a bait and switch by Jason and crew. They threw us fans easter eggs that don't mean anything. A shot of a Twinkie in the glovebox is supposed to say "yah canon" yet they basically threw our characters out and pretty much threw GB2 out. The fan in me loved to see the action, the Ecto in action, the equipment. I loved seeing a Gozer Temple again (BUT that was short lived, it didn't do anything, it was a true rehash of the first movie). The Gozer of 84 is legit creepy to this 2021 Gozer who wants to just lay about on the steps.
Also I was hoping to hear some of the score from the first movie, but they SO over used it and the again the context of how it was used in the first movie versus this one, was cheap filmmaking. They want you think and feel xyz without delivering xyz. There was also a good bit of sloppy filmmaking and continuity that just jumped out at me, for a movie that was delayed as much as this, there is no excuse for it and I shouldn't see it in the first viewing.

At the end of the day, this film is a nail in the coffin for us old GB fans, that is what they showed you with this film. You wanted GB3 with the original Ghostbusters, nope you get the crums and you get to see your heroes look old and worn out, tired, with lines that felt like they were read off of a cue card. All the while doing a tribute to Harold, (which I did like seeing the image, but again it was a nail in the coffin for us). All these new movies that revisit our old films are doing this. Look what they did to Star Wars, James Bond. Can't wait to see how they screw up 89 Keaton in Flash. It was just sad. I'd waited for over 30 years for a GB3 and to have a film in the universe I love and I was let down. In spite of all the easter eggs to basically erase a key chapter in the film makes this a no go for me.

That being said Phoebe, and Podcast were fun characters that I really enjoyed. There is just so much dumb stuff in and just jumping around. Here you are in a scene then bam here you are somewhere else with no drama structure. The first GB and even second had a layering which just worked. Also the way they handle them not knowing Egon, and Ghostbusters could have been done so much better, again it felt like sloppy filmmaking.
Sav C, robbritton, deadderek and 2 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 19th, 2021, 11:03 pm Also, Ivo and Gozer should have been stuck in their destructor forms and the packs are missing their upgrades, plus the year isn't mentioned on the mural.
Ivo chose his destructor form in the Gozerian dimension, therefore he's stuck in that form only there. On Earth, human form still holds or Ray's on the fly theory of 1 form per dimension was wrong. 1991 is not one of the chosen years, Gozer was brought back out of haste and thus in a weaker state that the Ghostbusters easily discorporated.
robbritton liked this
Just saw it and uploaded my spoiler free review on the Youtube channel...but I loved it.

Is it perfect like the original.....No! Is it Nostalgic as hell...you better believe it. Its very much "The Force Awakens" of the Ghostbusters franchise and thats totally fine with me.

This film has one foot rooted firmly in the past, and one foot in the future. It can be (and i think its meant to be) a bridging film...Resolving the past while progressing forward into the future with the kids.

So that said, Im all aboard for more.

Heres what i would do. Next film, Return to the firehouse, New York...but expand the brand international. Have some large event take place, and have multiple franchises help out. Really expand the brand outwards.

Hell it even has me rethinking my old "Ghostbusters Resurection" Script i wrote back in 2016, and maybe a retooling of that could be a another crack at a sequel incoporating afterlife characters in it
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 20th, 2021, 12:14 am
Alphagaia wrote: November 19th, 2021, 11:03 pm Also, Ivo and Gozer should have been stuck in their destructor forms and the packs are missing their upgrades, plus the year isn't mentioned on the mural.
Ivo chose his destructor form in the Gozerian dimension, therefore he's stuck in that form only there. On Earth, human form still holds or Ray's on the fly theory of 1 form per dimension was wrong. 1991 is not one of the chosen years, Gozer was brought back out of haste and thus in a weaker state that the Ghostbusters easily discorporated.
And the packs being rolled back isn't outside the realms of possibility- just look at the Ecto!
Seen AF last night on the Maxx screen.

I absolutely loved this film, I thought Pheobe and Podcast were brilliant and stole the show. Even my wife really loved the film (she wasn’t fussed on the OG films)

Sure, there were a few things that can be nitpicked but there’s only so much you can do in 2 hours, on the overall scheme of things I enjoyed it.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
2 out of 10 Anticipation turned into anger..... Saw it Thursday night in IMAX AMC. My expectations were not high or unrealistic. However they were completely different than what was delivered!!

As an 80s kid, GB was my favorite movie(s) growing up. After watching GB/AL I felt cheated out of a childhood dream. I actually started to shake my head in anger/disbelief around the 1.5 hr mark upon coming to the realization it was impossible to introduce the boys that late in the plot to develop any meaningful arc to their story.....

So we got "Stranger End Game Things" instead of a proper sequel (my heart of heart's opinion)..... I sincerely do not want to ruin anything for people who haven't seen the movie yet, but I just had to come here & vent my utter frustration, let down, anger & disbelief.....

I dreamt about another GB for almost 32 years.... 32 freakin years!!!!! And we get less than 5 minutes of "who ya gonna call" OG cast!!!?? I prefaced my post by saying "My expectations were not high or unrealistic". So I want to be clear, I did not expect to see the boys (now old men) doing any major physical stunts. But come on man. Even the way they showed up out of nowhere was disrespectful.... & oh ya you can forget about the ugly little spud (that's a whole other rant)

Final thought... The only way this movie can be redeemed is if they make a 4th & the OG cast gets real screen time. But since it was like pulling water from a rock with Murray just to get him to do this film with less than 5 minutes of screen time. I am quite certain I'll have to bury that dream....
Last edited by krismiller1982 on November 20th, 2021, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alphagaia liked this
Just realized that in the tv spots they showed like a YouTube video of them coming out of the ballroom after catching slimer. Didn’t see it in the movie though which I’m glad about since it wouldn’t make sense.
timeware wrote: November 19th, 2021, 10:39 pm Day two Afterlife is still holding a 95% GA score and the critics are looking like they have an axe to grind.
Fairly obvious they do.
It's just an unfortunate factor that some of the critics are on a personnel vandetta to make sure that Afterlife doesn't get certified fresh. Yes, it has it's flaws. Yes the OG's should have had more screen time but I still feel the way Jason set things up is we get more of the OG's in the next sequel if there is one. This film was to introduce the new characters and bring the older generation on board. I think mission accomplished?

The very end credits sets up Winston being involved in the next film. So I don't believe there will be a time jump with the kids but maybe Grooberson is involved in setting up a new team in some capacity.

So many possiblilites here. We'll see the OG's again, and we can do it without Bill holding things up.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
OHH also I just noticed that Ray mentioned something about electrovolts as they were shooting Gozer.. I think it was to foreshadow Trevor shooting the power supply for the trap.

While I liked Gozer uncrossing the streams, why didn't they just pass right through her?
timeware wrote: November 20th, 2021, 3:34 am It's just an unfortunate factor that some of the critics are on a personnel vandetta to make sure that Afterlife doesn't get certified fresh. Yes, it has it's flaws. Yes the OG's should have had more screen time but I still feel the way Jason set things up is we get more of the OG's in the next sequel if there is one. This film was to introduce the new characters and bring the older generation on board. I think mission accomplished?

The very end credits sets up Winston being involved in the next film. So I don't believe there will be a time jump with the kids but maybe Grooberson is involved in setting up a new team in some capacity.

So many possiblilites here. We'll see the OG's again, and we can do it without Bill holding things up.
Agreed. If we don't get Bill in the next one...no biggie to me.
Kingpin liked this
robbritton wrote: November 20th, 2021, 1:15 am
mrmichaelt wrote: November 20th, 2021, 12:14 am
And the packs being rolled back isn't outside the realms of possibility- just look at the Ecto!
For me it's too many hoops and fan fixing, but that shouldn't stop anyone else from creating a cohesive canon ofcourse!
Alphagaia wrote: November 20th, 2021, 4:05 am
robbritton wrote: November 20th, 2021, 1:15 am And the packs being rolled back isn't outside the realms of possibility- just look at the Ecto!
For me it's too many hoops and fan fixing, but that shouldn't stop anyone else from creating a cohesive canon ofcourse!
Come on the bandwagon with us. There's massage chairs. ;)

But unfortunately there's too much ambiguity and unless an official statement is released, we can look forward to debating this for the next 30 years, lol.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 20th, 2021, 4:08 am I'd rather Bill and Dan don't come back again based on Afterlife. Bill as he doesn't want to be there, and Dan because his enthusiasm and technobabble were put on a leash.

Winston is almost a blank slate at this point so Ernie is the perfect thread to continue the franchise.
I'm down for Winston and Janine returning.

But I think there's two things the next movie should avoid: another end of the world case and Gozerian mythos. As other Ghostbusters titles like RGB, EGB, or the IDW canon have shown, there can be great stories and challenges for the team without the world being in danger or Gozer being around. I don't think it's unfeasible to wrap a movie around a really tough case of the week. Simplest example would be the Boogeyman.
mrmichaelt wrote: November 20th, 2021, 4:36 am

Come on the bandwagon with us. There's massage chairs. ;)
Massage chairs?! I'm in!
(Wait. Have to play hard to get.)
Ahum. Throw in a foot massage and you might have a deal.
robbritton liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:I'd rather Bill and Dan don't come back again based on Afterlife. Bill as he doesn't want to be there, and Dan because his enthusiasm and technobabble were put on a leash.

Winston is almost a blank slate at this point so Ernie is the perfect thread to continue the franchise.

I agree. Maybe not so much with Dan not coming back (I feel like Ray still needs reception for abandoning Egon).
Im thinking that perhaps Egon should've had a line. They could've used old footage of Harold Ramis speaking and played it in to have Egon speak, even if it's just a simple one line. Egon could've said something such as, "Goodbye guys ," before fading into the sky.
robbritton wrote: November 20th, 2021, 1:15 am

It's nothing compared to comics. I was reading the judge dredd wiki this week. My god you could full a book with all in the incongruties in that series. Marvel and DC are even worse.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]