By Tigress_Ren
Figured I had enough documentation to finally share this years halloween project. Plans were downloaded PDFs from Lost Wax's youtube tutorials. As the pack is part of a motorcycle cosplay, It was important to me to make a left-handed pack which is why I opted to build one from the ground up. Here goes.

Base is 1/4" plywood with a layer of cardboard glued to it with elmers. All other layers were added with hot glue.

Gun built, pvc bits added. Started to figure out I wasnt even halfway done yet. 😅

This part came out EPIC. Took a peice of pvc to my firepit and got it to curve, then cut it in half and flattened an end. First try. Beautiful.

Last minute additions before paint. Basecoat of gloss black.

Wire details being added. I purposely abandon the idea of a traditional rainbow loom, but made sure to add color sticking out other places.

First look at my home-printed cardstock lables, hot glued on. Came out less than ideal, but satisfactory for the level of detail Im going for.

Time to bite the bullet and make the hardest part to make from scratch. Turned out perfect honestly. Dunno why I put it off.

Time for weathering! Went overboard with silvering... but soffened it up with dusted layers of flat black and flat dark-brown

Thats pretty much it! No electronics or alice pack this year. Maybe upgrades next year. I know there are a lot of "flaws" and missing details in the traditional sence, but I mostly wanted something that looked good while driving down the street. In that, I think its perfect. Being a slap-dash cardboard project there was only "so much" accuracy I cared about. I.E, it'll do plenty to please the casual fan. Id love to hear what yall have to say!

P.S. My neighbor shot some video of this project and put it on his youtube channel. Enjoy.

Motorcycle Updates Post:
viewtopic.php?p=4988887#p4988887
Last edited by Tigress_Ren on December 3rd, 2023, 8:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
jonogunn, alphabeta001 liked this
By Tigress_Ren
Some added notes as I posted a little on the tired side last night. 😅 Total cost was only around $50. I had the wood and hot glue, the wires and heatsinks were free from my neighbor, and the cardboard was also free. The final hose is a broken air hose from a spray tan machine I was able to scavange, and the alluminum tube tip was also from a free broken broom from work. Besides a few tiny hardware bits, I basicly only paid for some pvc and paint. Oh, the current backpack straps came from a $5 baby sling from the thrift store.

A few design choices were made after watching Adam Savage build his custom pack. I fully plan on making a front shoulder "attenuator," so I dont mind having no switches on the wand (though it was done for time and laziness reasons 😁). For the same reason I also added detail to the antenea to give it my own flare. I also wanted a slightly more "retro" and "real" look to the wand which is why it got a needle gauge temperature readout (pegged at 88 btw) and a firearm inspired barrel heat-sink instead of a plastic tube. As a welder, this makes me see the wand as more of an actual potential tool that could do some damage, aand it also saved me from tracking down a clear tube... haha.

I havent weighed it but Id say the pack is between 8 and 12 pounds? (5 seems too light a guess, and 15 seems too high.) Solid layers of cardboard so theres not alot of "air" in the thing. It ended up heavier than I was initially expecting. But still super light for a costume prop. I went with cardboard because Ive worked with it before and wanted the strength and regidity over foam for something Id be taking on the highway. Ive tested it as a 65mph backpack so far btw. No issues.

I guess anything else just ask. 😎
    Aluminum pack decals

I'm a big fan of the Moby Sign Company labels. St[…]

Howdy . On behalf of the ' coalition of franchise[…]

When I post the prop manual +time stamps you […]

Has anyone seen this yet? Obviously it’s not[…]