Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
I will say, though, if they did do an all female team, Emma Stone and Eliza Dushku would be my first choices... not that my choices matter... LOL! =P

It's a plus that in some form or another, they've been linked to GB (Emma Stone in Zombieland, and there are photos floating around the net of Eliza wearing a Proton pack)...

Last edited by pyhasanon on August 3rd, 2014, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pyhasanon wrote:I will say, though, if they did do an all female team, Emma Stone and Eliza Dushku would be my first choices... not that my choices matter... LOL! =P
Emma Stone is too overused. I'd pick Alison Brie as my first choice. She's really effing funny! One of the funniest women in Hollywood in my opinion.

And...she's got a lot of talent. :)
This Post Contains Spoilers
Also of Mad Men fame, I think Elisabeth Moss would be a good choice. She's not all sex appeal and I bet she could pull off a geeky, intellectual with ease.

I'd like a cast of "unknown" actresses with backgrounds in live improv, stand-up, and sketch comedy. Bonus points if they also have writing credits. And I'd cast for CHEMISTRY: I'd want the potentials to group together, act a scene, then re-combine in different combinations and switch the roles around until we have four or five people who just make each-other funny no matter what situation they are put into.

Then I'd re-work the script to tailor each part to the actress in question, and make sure we get in a LOT of rehearsal. If the chemistry of the team is working, and the characters are clicking, then we've got a movie.

I wouldn't cast for looks, but you know what? I bet even if the actresses end up resembling Kewpie Dolls made of strips of beef jerky, if they face down an army of spooks and demons while both convincing you they are real people AND making you laugh? I bet you guys will end up finding them attractive anyway.

That would be my dream cast.
M.Thunder wrote:
I wouldn't cast for looks, but you know what? I bet even if the actresses end up resembling Kewpie Dolls made of strips of beef jerky, if they face down an army of spooks and demons while both convincing you they are real people AND making you laugh? I bet you guys will find them attractive anyway.
I had to google Kewpie Doll. I don't see this working with Ghostbusters, but I guess I'd have to see them in a uniform blasting a proton stream before I made a final decision. I imagine it would look similar to the vinyl pop figures.

Halloween Undead wrote: I had to google Kewpie Doll. I don't see this working with Ghostbusters, but I guess I'd have to see them in a uniform blasting a proton stream before I made a final decision.
It's not about what it would look like. Seeing that wouldn't help. You'd have to meet the characters, get to know them, believe in them, get invested in their struggles...THEN put them in uniform and power up the portable nuclear accelerators. THEN make a decision.

Some things will never ever work, until they work.
M.Thunder wrote:they face down an army of spooks and demons while both convincing you they are real people AND making you laugh
I would love that, really, that would be perfect...
JA Slow liked this
I'm sad at the prospect of a Ghostbusters film with no returning characters, Ectomobile, Firehouse, Proton Packs or anything else I've grown to love for the last 30 yrs. I'm fine with a sequel with new recruits, but you cant just throw out everything that's been established thus far. I really, really hope this stays away from reboot/remake territory.
I gave up on GB III around 2000 and forever set-in-stone after Ramis passed away. Nothing good will come of it because Ghostheads will be expecting much more than the average viewer and the critics will slime it to death. It could very well wind up another Blues Brothers 2000: a movie that lacked a crucial element to pass the 50% margin but did not and was made simply to get put on the screen. Does this mean I wouldn't see GB III if it was made? I would, but I feel I would be watching with a check list of expectations rather than simply enjoying myself. The VG was what GB III could have been and any attempts now are futile. As for this all female reboot? As a female I think it's stupid. So Janine and Dana would become male roles? No thank you. :sigh:
GhostBustin_84 liked this
Ivo Shandor wrote:As I said on twitter last night, please no:

Emma Stone
Gordon Levitt
Scarlett Johannson
Jeremy Renner

ugh. No overexposed actors.

Let's add Jamie Foxx to my own personal NO list.
I would rather have those actors in the movie than Melissa McCarthy. I just want her to stay away from this franchise.

Now, I wouldn't mind Eliza Dushku, Allison Brie, Anna Kendrick to be in the movie.
Ivo Shandor wrote:As I said on twitter last night, please no:

Emma Stone
Gordon Levitt
Scarlett Johannson
Jeremy Renner

ugh. No overexposed actors.

Let's add Jamie Foxx to my own personal NO list.
I would agree to some degree, but I think that both Emma Stone and Gordon Levitt are excellent actors, so their overexposure is warranted... Please no Scarlett, I can't stand her, she can't act in my opinion, and I don't see why people find her attractive...
Ecto_1X wrote:I wouldn't mind Eliza Dushku, Allison Brie, Anna Kendrick to be in the movie.
Good list, I wouldn't mind those either...
Ecto_1X wrote: I would rather have those actors in the movie than Melissa McCarthy. I just want her to stay away from this franchise.
Hmm...Melissa McCarthy probably wouldn't be a good pick...(trying to decide what I think of her in GB3 as I type this)...

Chris Farley was tied to GB3 way back when, wasn't he? McCarthy can do some of the same schtick Farley did...

Nah...I don't think MM would be a good fit.

Please, no Bradley Cooper either.
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Ecto_1X wrote: I would rather have those actors in the movie than Melissa McCarthy. I just want her to stay away from this franchise.
Hmm...Melissa McCarthy probably wouldn't be a good pick...(trying to decide what I think of her in GB3 as I type this)...

Chris Farley was tied to GB3 way back when, wasn't he? McCarthy can do some of the same schtick Farley did...

Nah...I don't think MM would be a good fit.

Please, no Bradley Cooper either.
I wasn't saying if she was a good fit or not, lol. I was saying from the rumors, that she will probably be in the movie. I just hope to god not.
Feig has the comedic chops and the wit to fit Ghostbusters tonally fantastically... I was stoked with the Chris Miller/Phil Lord rumors, but I think Feig could also work perfectly.

As for the (strangely) polarizing news about the cast, will reserve clutching the pearls until there's actual casting and not just speculation. Would an all-female cast work? Sure, depending on who they cast. Would a little bit of female and a little bit of male cast work? Sure, again depending on who they cast. Would an all-male cast work? Well, you get the gist.

What if, as most of the articles continue to say, this is all a weird rumor that was picked up on a slow news day? What if this doesn't even remotely end up being related to Ghostbusters and turns out to be something of its own?
Ivo Shandor liked this
While this is yet another addition to the myriad of GB3 rumors, I feel I should add my two cents:

I absolutely want to see some well-written female leads that serve a real purpose and are part of the main team of new GBs. Female fans, particularly those who build and wear the equipment, are often poorly treated in this very male-dominated fandom (or most fandoms, for that matter). While the excellent IDW comics have portrayed a number female characters quite well, I feel that a major motion picture could reinforce the idea that Ghostbusters is for everyone, regardless of gender, race, age, etc.

That being said, I don't think that the new team should be consist entirely of women; a fair balance of two men and two women seems like the logical choice.
Now before we all get too excited over this next batch of rumors, who owns the rights to Ghostbusters? It can't be just Sony, right? If nothing else, I would think Aykroyd, Reitman, and maybe even Murray (And who knows who else) would probably have to sign off on whatever new script comes along. Whatever new things might be coming along, it won't the end of the world, because someone would have creative oversight to the franchise.

For the record, it might be cool having females added to the team, as long as it's not a forced fit.

On the other hand, I don't want to see a GB movie without Murray or Ramis in it. It just wouldn't be the same. I feel like GB isn't one of those franchises that you can play mix and match with the elements too much and still expect it to work, on both a fan level and a general movie going public level.

At this point, I'm just interested in seeing how all this plays out.
Troy liked this
Troy wrote:What if, as most of the articles continue to say, this is all a weird rumor that was picked up on a slow news day? What if this doesn't even remotely end up being related to Ghostbusters and turns out to be something of its own?
I think it might be both. Oddly, Sony revealed today that there will be a female-led Spider-Man spinoff. Funny how that news comes right after the ghostbusters rumor. Could these two news stories have crossed their sources?

I do think that Feig is being considered, especially since he liked the Tweet from Craig. And we can guarantee he'd want a female lead. But hopefully not the whole team and I hope he's not starting the script from scratch. Especially since the last script had Aykroyd, Ramis, and Reitman involvement.

I believe Variety is the first source that claimed the script was being completely rewritten. I'm wondering if they have their own sources or if they ran with the original story in the Hollywood Reporter (who never claimed the previous script was being scrapped) and then added to the rumor.

Finally, a lot of folks are stressing over the fact that it would be a reboot. However, this third movie has been considered a reboot now since Reitman came forward! I don't see how it's any different than before.
Carnacki wrote: I believe Variety is the first source that claimed the script was being completely rewritten. I'm wondering if they have their own sources or if they ran with the original story in the Hollywood Reporter (who never claimed the previous script was being scrapped) and then added to the rumor.
And what if, wherever patient zero who started this is that Variety is sourcing, they said "female led cast?" Doesn't imply that this is going to be Y The Last Man inspired at all...

Guess I don't understand why there's been such a widespread panic about this (so much so that even Deadline.com has three separate op-eds on the topic) when it's all still a bunch of conjecture.

I seriously miss the days you didn't know a sequel was coming out until you were in the theater and saw a trailer for it.
M.Thunder liked this
This is why visibility and respresentation in movies matter.

The main argument I keep seeing for why an all-or-mostly-female team couldn't work is because they haven't SEEN it work. Because it hasn't been done before, or at least not well. This is new, uncharted territory, and unknown waters are frightening.

It is kind of sad though that in 2014 a cast of mostly-or-all-men is duh, and a cast of mostly-or-all-women is a "gimmick."
I'm at the point where I have emotionally given up on GB3.

Harold Ramis is dead, Ivan Reitman is not going to be directing, and it has been made clear that there would only be cameos of Aykroyd and Hudson.

To be done right, a handing-the-torch kind of movie really needs the old and new working together and taking on a common enemy. The older guys generally know they have to move on and are kind of stuck in some of their ways, while the new recruits are over-eager, mess with all sorts of new technology, and do get into some trouble for being overzealous. However, in the end the 2 teams come together in a common conflict and the older guys realize it is now safe for them to move on and that the world is in good hands.

However, that is clearly not what GB3 is shaping up to be.

To add further insult to injury, the idea of doing an all-female reboot sounds gimmicky at best and a cheap attempt to make money at worst. This isn't to say that there shouldn't be female Ghostbusters. I am all for equal access to jobs for both genders. However, rebooting the ORIGINAL film is just a bad idea all together. How can you re-make something that had such perfect comedic timing and on-screen energy? I don't think it can be done.

So, to re-iterate, I am giving up on the whole thing. If a 3rd film does come out, I will likely end up seeing it but, i have little hope of it even touching the quality of the second film, let alone the first.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

I know very little about Five Nights at Freddy's […]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]