Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
LA metro #Ghostbusters ! Get ready to answer the call with Paul Feig and The Good Deed Corps at Dynasty Typewriter Paul Feig and the Good Deed Corps are hosting a screening of Ghostbusters Answer the Call on November 19th that includes a live Q&A for the low, low price of $40! And if you want to spend some time drinking cocktails with the director of #Ghostbusters 2016 (as well as the Office, Freaks and Geeks, Bridesmaids, and more) you can get a VIP ticket for the afterparty for $150. And the best part? It's all a tax deductible donation to @thegooddeedcorps! Celebrate Ghostbusters, interact with an influential director AND reduce your overall tax burden! Even Louis Tully would approve!

Having attended other Good Deed Corps screening nights at Dynasty Typewriter, we can say with good authority you won't want to miss this if you're in the LA Metro area! Dynasty seats no more than 300 people and every seat in the house is a great view, and no more than 20 rows from the stage.

(And if you go, and you see Extraplasm Podcast / Jim don't forget to say hi!)

Grab tickets here!

https://thegooddeedcorps.networkforgood ... st_2875149

I would love to see that version! Hope he releases it into the wild some day.
Alphagaia wrote: October 31st, 2023, 2:05 am I would love to see that version! Hope he releases it into the wild some day.
I'd imagine it's the same Director's Cut version that was released on DVD, and the special element of it is his personal appearance/the Q&A session.

Still, would be cool to attend it in person and get additional insight into some of the sequences.
Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 31st, 2023, 5:12 am I'd imagine it's the same Director's Cut version that was released on DVD, and the special element of it is his personal appearance/the Q&A session.
I don't believe I've ever seen it referred to as the "Director's Cut", only the "Extended Edition". There's scenes added back in, plus some alternate jokes, but I don't know if this was ever intended to be Paul Feig's original vision for the film (usually "Director's Cut" means "what the film was supposed to be before the studio interfered with it").

In some ways I like it more, but I've seen people watch the Extended edition as their first exposure to the film and it's definitely been a negative over the Theatrical Edition ("why are they standing around making jokes for 3 minutes, this scene feels like it should have been left out.").

So if there is actually a Director's Cut I'd love to see it someday. Definitely keen to hear a review from someone who goes to this event! I'd be disappointed if it was just a screening of the Extended Edition.
Alphagaia, Ectopher liked this
We do know the first assembly cut of the movie, done by the editor, was 4 hours and 15 minutes. Feig's first cut was 3 hours and 30 minutes. The extended cut is 2 hours and 13 minutes.

Based on the screening being 3 pm followed by a Q&A then the party at 6. It sounds like they are showing the extended cut then doing 30-45 min. or so of Q&A then some set up for the cocktail party.
I'd be interested to know if its a separate cut of the film.

I fell like the one on the DVD put in some alternate jokes to increase the cut's viability in addition to the scenes that actually made the story better (not to mention the dance sequence - which I personally believe should be set to Get Ghost and not the BeeGees - and I wonder if Feig's cut has some of the better theatrical jokes + the extended/additional scenes.
Alphagaia liked this
It was the extended cut from the home entertainment release.

Jim from Extraplasm Podcast recorded the Q&A Feig and Dippold did after the screening. Two new bits were revealed:
https://www.podbean.com/site/EpisodeDow ... 0451FF2PDZ

-1hr 50 min mark: The Sony execs wanted to remove Shanks flipping them off and Holtzmann's Ghost Tits line even though there were high enough audience test scores that Paul had final say. CEO Michael Lynton flew down to negotiate. Paul sacrificed keeping flipping the bird for Ghost Tits in the theatrical (and of course restored the latter in the extended) and also better perks during the promotional tour.

-1hr 59 min mark: The TImes Square fight/going through Manhattan was longer. In 'a more expensive version,' the Ghostbusters even took on a ghost dinosaur.
deadderek, Alphagaia, jonogunn and 3 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: October 31st, 2023, 10:29 pm We do know the first assembly cut of the movie, done by the editor, was 4 hours and 15 minutes. Feig's first cut was 3 hours and 30 minutes. The extended cut is 2 hours and 13 minutes.

Based on the screening being 3 pm followed by a Q&A then the party at 6. It sounds like they are showing the extended cut then doing 30-45 min. or so of Q&A then some set up for the cocktail party.
That only reinforces a point I've had for a while about the American film industry needing to bring back this kind of showing of event movies like Answer The Call which would allow for a longer cut of a film like the 3 hour and 30 minute cut Feig wanted to release.
Alphagaia liked this
Clifton Sleigh wrote: January 9th, 2024, 11:02 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: October 31st, 2023, 10:29 pm We do know the first assembly cut of the movie, done by the editor, was 4 hours and 15 minutes. Feig's first cut was 3 hours and 30 minutes. The extended cut is 2 hours and 13 minutes.

That only reinforces a point I've had for a while about the American film industry needing to bring back this kind of showing of event movies like Answer The Call which would allow for a longer cut of a film like the 3 hour and 30 minute cut Feig wanted to release.
Feig's first cut was 3 hours and 30 minutes, but that is the way editing goes. The assembly cut is literally just every bit of footage in the movie where it's supposed to go, so that would probably include redundant scenes or gags where the same information is covered in a different way on a different take. So I assume Feig's first cut is that, but without any redundancies, with the scenes at least partially cut into something resembling a scene in a movie. That doesn't mean it was something Feig would've called completed or that he "wanted" to release it. I'm sure he always intended on making a movie between 100 and 140 minutes long.
mrmichaelt wrote: November 21st, 2023, 7:41 pm It was the extended cut from the home entertainment release.

Jim from Extraplasm Podcast recorded the Q&A Feig and Dippold did after the screening. Two new bits were revealed:
https://www.podbean.com/site/EpisodeDow ... 0451FF2PDZ

-1hr 50 min mark: The Sony execs wanted to remove Shanks flipping them off and Holtzmann's Ghost Tits line even though there were high enough audience test scores that Paul had final say. CEO Michael Lynton flew down to negotiate. Paul sacrificed keeping flipping the bird for Ghost Tits in the theatrical (and of course restored the latter in the extended) and also better perks during the promotional tour.

-1hr 59 min mark: The TImes Square fight/going through Manhattan was longer. In 'a more expensive version,' the Ghostbusters even took on a ghost dinosaur.
Wait. Sony wanted them to cut the flipping the bird scene…and Feig fought that?

The flipping them off scene is just everything wrong with this movie in a single scene. It’s so bad it’s cringe. they really should’ve cut at the “Suck it” part. As soon as he says “Suck it” hard cut to them in the next scene.

The problem with the scene is that it’s a comedian actor trying to be funny not an actor PLAYING A GOD DAMN CHARACTER.

And that’s this movie. People who aren’t playing characters. (Outside of Thor). It’s just these actors doing improv with no emotion, no real fear, no real terror.

This movie is a skit. It’s a damn skit. With scenes that go on WAY too long as it is.

Paul Feig fought for an actor saying “don’t let the hizzor hit you on the way hizzout” because talking like Snoop Dog ala 1995 is funny!

The scenes of this movie draaaaaaaag. And some of you want a 3 hour cut? Man I envy that enthusiasm.

I so wish I could talk to Paul Feig just to ask him what the hell happened to him. Freaks the Geeks man! Where’s the level of comedy and writing we saw in that masterpiece? Nobody mugged the camera for really bad. Improv. Believable characters and blah. Blah.
deadderek liked this
Another note I would add here, I forget where it is in the various sections you can watch alternate and deleted footage from the movie, but I have a vivid memory of one of the extras allowing you to sort of watch the original Times Square fight that is mentioned above, albeit in greenscreen form. The original version ends with the four Ghostbusters working together to defeat one of the villains, which is nice, although it's hard to want to sacrifice Holtzmann's big moment as the end of the fight from the theatrical cut.
RichardLess wrote: March 14th, 2024, 9:56 pmWait. Sony wanted them to cut the flipping the bird scene…and Feig fought that?

The flipping them off scene is just everything wrong with this movie in a single scene. It’s so bad it’s cringe. they really should’ve cut at the “Suck it” part. As soon as he says “Suck it” hard cut to them in the next scene.
Absolutely one of the worst bits in the movie, and in that mythical future where I've actually done my fan edit, one of the first things I can't wait to cut out.
Alphagaia liked this

Oh my...this will be interesting...

Hey guys, its been over a month without updates an[…]

Nice work! I have considered trying a 3D print pac[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]