Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
This is speculation but I think it is possible:

1. The Haslab Ghost Trap “Specter Selector” sends out an EMF signature of a specific Ghost (or a random Ghost if set to “Auto”)

2. The Haslab Ecto Goggles also feature an EMF detector (like the Haslab PKE meter) and also feature Augmented Reality (using a built in screen or any smartphone that is inserted into the Goggles). The Haslab Goggles pick up the EMF signature of the ghost and generate an image of it somewhere in the environment (AR). Could be a transparent pixel so you have to actually find it using the PKE.

3. The PKE meter also detects this Ghost. (Goggles simply increase their own EMF transmission when the AR ghost is larger in the view; user is “closer” to it. PKE wings go up)

4. The wand is used to fire at it; Goggles recognize the sound or EMF signature of the wand. Trap slides under it, Goggles again do their AR thing.

5. Ghost captured in trap according to the “Specter Selector” light and sound effects.

6. PKE wings can go up when the full trap uses its rumble motor to shake (EMF).

If anything like this becomes a reality then the Haslab Ecto Goggles (if they ever get made) will likely be the most complex Haslab ever made.

But it makes sense, the pack was more advanced (technically) than the wand (power transference, etc) and the Trap and PKE appear to be even more advanced than the pack (EMF). The next Haslab (most likely Ecto Goggles) could be the most advanced of all.
Last edited by One time on January 25th, 2024, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Honestly, after the Mattel ecto goggles... I'd be fine with Hasbro making a nice, simple, COMFORTABLE pair that can part-swap between the different version of the goggles we've seen in the movies. Bonus points would be that it'd be the least expensive prop from Hasbro yet!
zeta otaku wrote: January 24th, 2024, 11:40 pm Honestly, after the Mattel ecto goggles... I'd be fine with Hasbro making a nice, simple, COMFORTABLE pair that can part-swap between the different version of the goggles we've seen in the movies. Bonus points would be that it'd be the least expensive prop from Hasbro yet!
It's unlikely to end up being that simple.

Compare:

Matty wand-> Haslab wand
Matty trap-> Haslab trap
Matty PKE-> Haslab PKE

The Haslab is lightyears beyond in terms of functionality.

The Matty Goggles already had a viewfinder with various ghosts AND communicated with the Matty PKE to show bonus ghosts and proton streams.

The Haslab is likely to include much more advanced functionality and compatibility if the Haslab Ecto Goggles ever get made.
Arguably, the Matty wand is more sophisticated than the Hasbro wand. The Mattel wand was DESIGNED with connectivity in mind (see the aux port in the rear grip, the linking of near by Matty wands for the crossed stream sound effect, ecto goggles). I doubt Hasbro had any intention to make a full scale pack when the thrower was designed. The amount of EMF a handful of AA batteries make is miniscule.

Now, admittedly, their PKE is a marvel of engineering cramming a functional EMF meter in that small casing while having the other functions available. Same with their trap. Hopefully we get an updated showcase of the trap and PKE so we know more of their features. Remember, what we were shown were just very early prototypes... basically proof of concept models.
zeta otaku wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:32 pm Arguably, the Matty wand is more sophisticated than the Hasbro wand. The Mattel wand was DESIGNED with connectivity in mind (see the aux port in the rear grip, the linking of near by Matty wands for the crossed stream sound effect, ecto goggles). I doubt Hasbro had any intention to make a full scale pack when the thrower was designed. The amount of EMF a handful of AA batteries make is miniscule.

Now, admittedly, their PKE is a marvel of engineering cramming a functional EMF meter in that small casing while having the other functions available. Same with their trap. Hopefully we get an updated showcase of the trap and PKE so we know more of their features. Remember, what we were shown were just very early prototypes... basically proof of concept models.
The fact that the HasLab pack uses current draw (or voltage drop) as a means of determining wand state is pretty clear evidence that they weren't thinking about a full scale pack when they designed the wand.

As far as EMF detectors, they're not that complicated to build. Building a reliable one, that's where it gets tricky. Interference is a huge problem. There's a great post on hackaday about someone's DIY build, where every time they detected EMF and lit up LEDs to show this, the LEDs themselves gave off enough EMF to cause an infinite loop. So they had to add shielding around all components:
https://hackaday.com/2022/04/17/measuri ... e-of-wire/

This is what worries me about the PKE. Not only does it have noisy LEDs everywhere, it also has a magnetic speaker, and an electromechanical motor/servo. You can be clever about some of that, such as "pausing" emf scanning while the wings are moving or sounds are playing. Or maybe analysing the amount of emf those components put out and subtracting that from the current readings. But I'm still very skeptical that any readings you get will be any better than random noise. And I'm worried that Hasbro have shot themselves in the foot by trying to include this feature, because it could turn out to be the most complicated part of an already very complicated build. I'd rather they abandon it personally, especially if it has the potential to make modding more difficult.

I'm not a believer in ghosts. But if I did consider myself a serious ghost hunter, there's no way I'd use a Hasbro PKE for EMF detection. At a minimum you'd annoy everyone else in your group by walking around with a literal EMF generator which messes up everyone else's readings every time you walk past anything electrical. It's like using a water powered moisture sensor or a nuclear powered radiation detector.

I would have loved if they could have figured out a way to have it pick up readings from Bluetooth beacons or something like that, so you could hide transmitters in "haunted" objects and have people scan for them. It's something I'm experimenting with for my own PKE build but I'm still in the early R&D stage. Hell, even hiding IR receivers in the PKE wings would have opened up some possibilities!
DaveLister liked this
prodestrian wrote: January 26th, 2024, 2:20 pm I would have loved if they could have figured out a way to have it pick up readings from Bluetooth beacons or something like that, so you could hide transmitters in "haunted" objects and have people scan for them. It's something I'm experimenting with for my own PKE build but I'm still in the early R&D stage. Hell, even hiding IR receivers in the PKE wings would have opened up some possibilities!
Okay, this? THIS sounds AMAZING :D
prodestrian liked this
zeta otaku wrote: January 25th, 2024, 1:32 pm Arguably, the Matty wand is more sophisticated than the Hasbro wand. The Mattel wand was DESIGNED with connectivity in mind (see the aux port in the rear grip, the linking of near by Matty wands for the crossed stream sound effect, ecto goggles). I doubt Hasbro had any intention to make a full scale pack when the thrower was designed. The amount of EMF a handful of AA batteries make is miniscule.

You're right. My love for Hasbro and Haslab product build quality actually blinded me.

I have two of the Matty wands and I forgot they indeed have the jack on the handle and the IR panel to detect two wands crossing streams, with the additional "crazy" rumble and bargraph effects.

The Matty trap also physically jolts around a table (when it wants to) because of the way the wheels are engineered (it's not just a vibration or a rumble).

The thing is that the build quality and motors of the Hasbro stuff is so much better.

My main point with this thread is that the Matty props worked TOGETHER.

I really hope Hasbro surprises us and gives us something better than Mattel did 10 years ago.
Oh, I have LITTLE doubt the HasLab stuff will be OVERALL superior to Mattel's previous work (and that set a HIGH bar), however I think the ONLY thing Mattel will continue to have over the HasLab stuff is the connectivity features because they were designed to have them from the ground up. Frankly speaking, we're LUCKY we've gotten as much from Hasbro as we have.
DaveLister liked this
zeta otaku wrote: January 27th, 2024, 2:22 pm Oh, I have LITTLE doubt the HasLab stuff will be OVERALL superior to Mattel's previous work (and that set a HIGH bar), however I think the ONLY thing Mattel will continue to have over the HasLab stuff is the connectivity features because they were designed to have them from the ground up. Frankly speaking, we're LUCKY we've gotten as much from Hasbro as we have.
I agree, but there is really no excuse for Hasbro not to. The wand was the first product, so it's understandable there was no future interactivity planned with that (eventhough they STILL managed interactivity with the pack).

This trap and PKE, I see no reason why they shouldn't work together, and with a future Goggles too.

The tech is there and miles beyond what Mattel cost effectively had in 2013.

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]