For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
Visual dev artist Michael Kurinsky has posted art of projects he worked on and some that didn't. In two of these posts, there looks to be art from an unmade Ghostbusters animated movie that saw the ghosts as the busters.

I recall back in 2015-2017, there were bits of Fletcher Moules and Ivan Reitman co-directing an animated movie through a ghost's perspective in the ghost world. Maybe this art is from that pitch then perhaps this pitch was shelved then 2017-ish and in January 2019, there was a mention of the animated movie still development and then likely this is the new permutation Jennifer Kluska and Chris Prynoski and Brenda Hsueh are currently attached to.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zOzrwD
-https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/im ... 1598318059

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/18LPVZ
-https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/im ... 1598315447

It would have been fine. It would not have hurt anything. Looks like a fun alternate take. Maybe it even could have been in continuity where in the Afterlife/Ghost world they live together like us and have to fight the bad side so the human GB share their equipment/technology with them.

They’ll probably do some kind of ghosts perspective in one of these new things anyway. Not this specifically but it’s been brought up a lot it seems.
philmorgan81 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 1:45 am You know I would really like to know how this would have worked. Ghost Ghostbusters fighting in the ghost world. Interesting. :):):)
What sprung to my mind was a shaky truce between mankind and the paranormal. The ghosts agree to police themselves, the GBs give them equipment, the team is mostly there to prune out annoyances out of the endless deluge of ghosts crossing over but enough for the GBs to stay in business just not so overworked but this team stumbles on a big bad and so forth. I guess. Shrug.
philmorgan81, deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 20th, 2023, 8:38 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 1:45 am You know I would really like to know how this would have worked. Ghost Ghostbusters fighting in the ghost world. Interesting. :):):)
What sprung to my mind was a shaky truce between mankind and the paranormal. The ghosts agree to police themselves, the GBs give them equipment, the team is mostly there to prune out annoyances out of the endless deluge of ghosts crossing over but enough for the GBs to stay in business just not so overworked but this team stumbles on a big bad and so forth. I guess. Shrug.

That actually sounds pretty interesting. It would definitely have been a fresh take. From the look of their equipment it would have drawn from more the OG Ghostbusters than ATC so that is a total win for me. I am sure that this one would have been in it’s own reality separate from the original films much like ATC, but I really like the design of these characters. I can totally understand why people wouldn’t really want the studio to go this particular direction heck it may even be ludicrous. I personally think this may have been fun. ;)

Well with Firehouse in post, and with a good shot at making a film that will be a great companion to Afterlife, I am sure we will see some more interesting new Ghostbusters projects in the future. Which is exactly what Jason Reitman said he wanted. I think he said that he would love to see what other directors would do if they got to take the concept of the franchise and play in the sandbox.

If this animated project is for all practical purposes shelved I am very curious to what the new animated movie will be. :):):)
I didn’t word it right but I imagined it as the ghost world has its own villains that don’t care to come back to our world. That’s why they would need their own ghost GBs to protect the afterlife. Of course the human GB continue to deal with the ones that do come back to haunt and threaten us.

Some kind of truce or agreement might work but I think it mostly defeats the purpose of human GBs.
WCat2000 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 9:47 pm I didn’t word it right but I imagined it as the ghost world has its own villains that don’t care to come back to our world. That’s why they would need their own ghost GBs to protect the afterlife. Of course the human GB continue to deal with the ones that do come back to haunt and threaten us.

Some kind of truce or agreement might work but I think it mostly defeats the purpose of human GBs.
Well, there's such thing as too much work. Imagine the flow of P.K.E. from the ghost world to Earth as a river flowing into a dam. Too much P.K.E. and the dam overflows and chaos. The truce is an understanding for the ghost team policing a set amount of their own kind to keep that flowing river to a steady stream on the ghost world side while the GBs handle what comes into the dam. It will still be steady work for the GBs to keep themselves in business but not so much it's physically burning them out.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 20th, 2023, 10:02 pm
WCat2000 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 9:47 pm I didn’t word it right but I imagined it as the ghost world has its own villains that don’t care to come back to our world. That’s why they would need their own ghost GBs to protect the afterlife. Of course the human GB continue to deal with the ones that do come back to haunt and threaten us.

Well, there's such thing as too much work. Imagine the flow of P.K.E. from the ghost world to Earth as a river flowing into a dam. Too much P.K.E. and the dam overflows and chaos. The truce is an understanding for the ghost team policing a set amount of their own kind to keep that flowing river to a steady stream on the ghost world side while the GBs handle what comes into the dam. It will still be steady work for the GBs to keep themselves in business but not so much it's physically burning them out.
Ya having a team in the Afterlife to help reduce ghosts could fit. They could even provide intel on any major threat planning on coming here.

I was just thinking if a ghost GB team is doing this why wouldn’t they just take on whatever the threat is and stop it before it reaches us then?

It could work. I just thought it’d be simpler if the Afterlife had its own unique supernatural problems.
WCat2000 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 12:09 am I was just thinking if a ghost GB team is doing this why wouldn’t they just take on whatever the threat is and stop it before it reaches us then?

I just thought it’d be simpler if the Afterlife had its own unique supernatural problems.
A clause in the truce the ghosts can't go after gods. So there's the moral conflict in the movie, do they follow the rules or save both worlds and breach the treaty?

Yeah, sure, that works, too.
WCat2000 liked this
I have no problem with this as a spin-off concept and interesting to see a new take.

But again, Real Ghostbusters is the way to go visually with the ghost design. This looks more like Trolls or something, hate the blue/pink humanoid ghost design - the orange one looks best - the rest just doesn't fit ghostbusters at all.
This kind of feels like a prelude to Disney's Elementals. Maybe it would work as a Disney JR version of Ghostbusters, but not for the older audiance . Not saying the concept artist isn't talented. I'm just not digging the style. Too Kiddish.

Now this would be the way to go.
philmorgan81 liked this
I am also very happy that none of the Spectral Ghostbusters are Slimer. Very glad that they were trying to come up with original characters.

I wonder if any of the OG film characters would have made some kind of appearance or even referenced in this film. Like maybe the living Ghostbusters somehow wind up captured and displaced and that is why these Ghosts have to step up.

Again this could have been really interesting. Another way for Sony to have fun with one of their IPs. Again if this actually saw the light of day it would be cool to see if this could have started a trend of more spin off animated films. Even if this concept never actually happens I am very glad that I got to see this art. :):):)
Fascinating stuff!

I just want to see humans busting ghosts. I love the designs of the GB’s. It sort of reminds me of the Wii version of the video game.

But there’s no need to go sooo out there. Keep it focused on humans busting ghosts please.

Oh my...this will be interesting...

Hey guys, its been over a month without updates an[…]

Nice work! I have considered trying a 3D print pac[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]